Adapted from JoyofBaking.com
You can make jam-sandwich cookies, or window-sandwiches, where some of the jam filling peeks through the cutout in the center of one cookie.
Makes about: 12 sandwich cookies (depends on size)
Prep time: 30 minutes+15 minutes assembly
Bake time: 10 minutes
2 cups flour
¼ tsp salt
1 cup butter
½ cup powdered sugar, plus extra for decoration
1 tsp vanilla
~1/2 cup raspberry (or other jam)
Fork or hand mixer
Cookie cutters (or cups)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream butter. A few options:
- Soften butter in microwave, mix butter into a paste using a fork.
- Use hand mixer to convert butter into smooth paste.
- Beat in powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla to butter.
- Add flour to butter mixture. Gather the dough into a ball.
- Roll the dough out between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Cut cookies. Make sure that one cookie cutter is larger than the other (for window cookies). Otherwise, you can make sandwiches if the cutters are the same size.
- Place cookies on parchment covered pan, and freeze for about 15 minutes (helps cookies keep their shape in the oven).
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool before handling
- To assemble cookies, place a small amount of jam on one cookie, then sandwich other cookie on top.
10. Optional: sprinkle powdered sugar on top of cookies. You can use a sifter or a fine-meshed sieve to get the sugar to come down evenly.
quick tip: If you don’t have cookie cutters, a glass can substitute.