Lemon Blueberry Buttermilk Scones
Recipe from Tartine
These scones are fluffy and delicate, yet satisfyingly rich.
Makes about: 18 inch 3’’ scones
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Bake time: 25-35 minutes
4 ¾ cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
½ cup granulated sugar
1¼ tsp salt
1 cup+ 1tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1½ cup buttermilk
1 tsp lemon zest
¼ cup dried blueberries (or more if desired)
3 tbsp melted unsalted butter
large crystal sugar (or regular sugar)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- Cut butter into small chunks and add to flour.
- “Cut” butter into the flour. A few options here:
- My preferred: use your fingers to combine the flour and butter. At the end, the mixture should look loose, like flour.
- Use two knives to cut butter into tiny, flour covered pieces.
- Use a hand mixer to combine butter and flour.
- Mix in buttermilk, lemon zest, and blueberries until dough forms.
- Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball.
- Place dough ball on a piece of parchment paper (to avoid sticking), and flatten into a circle. The dough should be around ~1 inch thick, but it doesn’t matter.
- Cut wedges from the circle of dough.
- Brush tops of scones with butter (can also use a spoon or fingers if you don’t have a brush), and sprinkle tops with sugar.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until the scones are lightly browned. Be sure not to overbake, or they’ll be dry!
You can reuse the parchment paper used for cutting the scones to bake them.
Use the same measuring cup to melt the butter and measure buttermilk.
You can pre-zest lemons ahead of time and freeze the zest for later use.