Oatmeal Jam Squares
Source: Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
These cookies have a delicious buttery base, a sweet and toothsome jam filling, and a crunchy crumb topping. They’re quick and easy to make, and you’ll only need one bowl.
Makes about: 24 cookies (about 2’’ squares)
Prep time: 15 minutes.
Bake time: 30-35 minutes
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 ¼ cup rolled oats
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
¾ cup (or 1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
½ cup jam of choice (blackberry, raspberry, etc)
Baking pan (9×13)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 9×13 pan with parchment paper.
- Place flour, sugar, oats, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add butter to the dry ingredients. To incorporate, you have some options:
- Use your fingers to rub the butter into the dry ingredients until there are no distinct chunks of butter left.
- Use a food processor to combine the ingredients.
- The resulting mixture should be dry and crumbly, but should hold together when squeezed tightly.
- Press about 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread a thin (or thick!) layer of jam on top of the cookie base.
- Sprinkle the rest of the dry mixture on top of the jam.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Cut into squares and serve!