Banana Bread from Tartine
Recipe from Tartine (Banana-Date Tea Cake, page 104)
This banana bread is super moist, with a crunchy and delectable topping. It’s also extremely easy to make and easy to double/triple/etc. What an excellent way to use up those extra-ripe bananas!
Makes about: 1 9×5 loaf, or 1 9×13 cake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: ~1 hour
Total time: ~1+ hour
1 cup+2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
3 medium bananas
2 large eggs
1 ½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
3/8 cup (6 tbsp) olive oil
¾ cup+2tbsp sugar
1 cup walnuts or chocolate chips (optional)
1 medium banana
2 tbsp sugar
Just using a regular bowl, spatula, and measuring cups/spoons will suffice.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 9×5 loaf pan (or 9×13 pan) with parchment paper.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl. You can do this with your hands (more fun!) or with a fork.
- Add eggs, oil, and sugar to bananas. Mix well.
- Add in vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Mix in cornstarch.
- Mix in flour. The batter should be smooth.
- Mix in optional nuts/chocolate.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake about 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.