Brownie Roll-Out Cookies
From Smitten Kitchen
These cookies are made in the same way as gingerbread men, but they are chocolate instead! The cookies don’t spread, so it’s great for achieving the desired shape of cookie (in this case, cats).
Makes about: 20 cookies (depends on size)
Prep time: 10mins(mixing)+1 hour (freezing)+20 mins (cutting)
Bake time: 8-11 minutes/batch
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 cup butter
1 ½ cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cream butter until smooth.
3. Stir in sugar.
4. Beat in eggs.
5. Mix in, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
6. Stir in flour.
7. Divide dough into half and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for ~1 hour (freezer works faster), until dough is firm. When the dough is too soft, you cannot roll it out.
8. Roll out dough to about ~1/4 inch thick. To roll, you can flour a flat surface and roll out the dough. Or, for easy clean-up, you can roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper. This keeps everything very clean (fewer things to clean!)
9. Using the desired cookie cutter, press into the dough and make desired shapes.
10. Bake cookies for 8-11 minutes in the oven, until crisp. Let cool before frosting.