Soft Molasses Cookies
From Smitten Kitchen
Deliciously soft molasses cookies are the result of this recipe!
Makes about: 30-40 cookies (depending on size!)
Prep time: 10 minutes
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp allspice
¼ tsp pepper
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
Granulated sugar (for topping)
Nothing special. You’ll need to use your freezer.
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Beat butter until smooth.
3. Beat in granulated sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Add in molasses and stir well.
4. Beat in egg.
5. Add baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice and pepper. Mix well.
6. Mix in flour.
7. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for ~1 hour (or freeze) until dough is firm. This makes it easier to handle and prevents too much spreading.
8. When the dough is ready, form balls using the dough. Roll balls in granulated sugar.
9. Place on prepared sheet and bake 10-15 minutes. At 10 minutes, cookies will be softer; at 15 minutes, they will be crispier. Space the balls ~1 inch apart so that they do not spread into each other.