Buttermilk Scones from Baking with Julia
Source: Baking with Julia
These scones are light and fluffy. Despite their paleness, they are still quite tasty.
Makes about: 24 small-ish scones
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 10 minutes
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
1 ½ cup (12 tbsp) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add in butter and combine with flour until the mixture appears sandy. You can use your fingers to rub the butter into the dough.
4. Add in lemon zest if desired.
5. Pour buttermilk into the dry mixture
6. Combine mixture until it comes together into a cohesive dough.
7. Divide the dough in half or thirds. Pat into a circle on a well-floured surface (yes, even a well-floured piece of parchment paper) using well-floured hands. Cut into 8 wedges. Repeat with the other half.
8. Place wedges ½ inch apart on baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar.
9. Bake 10 minutes until top is slightly golden brown.