Roasted Pear and Chocolate Scones
From Smitten Kitchen
These scones are slightly sweet, slightly chocolately, and very delicious. I’ve had my eye on this recipe for a while, and it didn’t disappoint. Enjoy!
Makes about: 16 medium scones
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
3 medium pears
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
½ tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp salt
6 tsp unsalted butter, cut into chunks
¼ cup chocolate chips
¼ cup heavy cream (or, substitute 1 tbsp butter+3 tbsp soymilk or milk)
sugar for sprinkling
a surface that can be covered with flour.
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Prepare apples: Peel and cut into small chunks. Place onto baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add in butter and combine with flour until the mixture appears sandy. You can use your fingers to rub the butter into the dough.
5. Toss in chocolate chips and roasted pears. Mix together with dry ingredients until covered. This makes it easier to combine everything.
6. Beat egg in a separate bowl. Mix with cream. Pour into the dry mixture
7. Combine mixture until it comes together into a cohesive dough. It will be sticky.
8. Divide the dough in half. Pat into a circle on a well-floured surface (yes, even a well-floured piece of parchment paper) using well-floured hands. Cut into 8 wedges. Repeat with the other half.
9. Place wedges ½ inch apart on baking sheet. Brush egg on scones and sprinkle with sugar.
10. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.