Healthier Cinnamon-Apple Cake
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
I tried making Smitten Kitchen’s Mom’s Apple Cake, but then I accidentally added too much flour when I halved the recipe…so I improvised! The resulting cake probably isn’t as moist as the original, but that could be remedied by baking a little shorter (15 minutes instead of 20) and by adding a bit more liquid. The apple topping really adds a nice amount of flavor and juiciness. I also reduced the sugar and put added some whole-wheat flour. If I made this again, I’d probably stir some of the apples into the batter, increase the soymilk to ½ cup, and bake for 15 minutes.
(also, they tasted better on the 3rd day, when the apple soaked into the cake…)
Makes about: 1 9×13 pan, or about 40 pieces
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 15-20 minutes or until knife comes out clean
3 cups apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into small chunks
1 tbsp cinnamon
2.5 tbsp sugar
1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder.
½ tsp salt
½ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup sugar
½ cup soymilk (I used 3/8 cup, and the cake was a little dry)
2 ½ tsp vanilla
½ cup walnuts (optional)
Knife for cutting apples, 9×13 bakng pan
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix apple chunks with cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.
3. Mix together vegetable oil, sugar, soymilk, vanilla, and eggs.
4. Add in flour, salt, and baking powder.
5. Stir in walnuts if desired.
6. Pour batter into prepared parchment-lined pan.
7. Sprinkle apples evenly over the top.
8. Bake 15-20 minutes or until knife in the center comes out clean.