This bar has a yummy and crunchy nut topping with a rich, buttery, and slightly salty crust. I like the thin gooey layer—sweet, but not too rich. It’s like pecan pie, but with walnuts instead.
Makes about: 50-60 bars (one 9×13 pan)
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Bake time: 15-18 minutes for crust; 8-15 minutes for filling
2 cups flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
12 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/8 cup maple syrup
2 large eggs
2 tbsp melted butter
½ tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
2 cups toasted walnut pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Toast walnuts for 6-8 minutes.
3. To prepare crust: combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and butter until crumbly.
4. Mix in walnuts.
5. Press mixture into parchment-lined 9×13 pan.
6. Bake crust for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. To make filling, mix together maple syrup, eggs, butter, vanilla, and salt.
8. Mix in walnuts.
9. Pour filling over crust. Bake until filling is set, 8-15 minutes. Don’t overbake! Let cool before cutting.