Spiced Applesauce Cake from Smitten Kitchen
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
I made this mainly to use up some extra applesauce, and it makes a deliciously moist and flavorful cake. The apple flavor blends into the background, making it taste mostly like a yummy spice cake. It’s super easy and fast to make ☺
Makes about: 1 Bundt pan (or, a 9×9 square pan)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 35-40 minutes.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¾ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups unsweetened applesauce
½ cup walnuts (optional)
8×8 square pan lined with parchment (or a greased Bundt pan)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix together vegetable oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and applesauce.
3. Mix in baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. Stir in cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
5. Stir in flour and mix until blended.
6. Stir in walnuts.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan.
8. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.