I did some experimenting and came up with these vegan cupcakes. These are very moist and tender, although they are quite crumbly. For extra chocolate flavor, chocolate chips are an excellent addition.
Makes about: 18 regular-sized cupcakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 15-20 minutes
¾ cup cocoa
¾ cup boiling water
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup canola oil
2 tbsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp white vinegar (I used champagne vinegar)
Muffin pan with muffin liners (or just a greased muffin pan)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a muffin pan (with liners or by greasing the cups).
2. Mix cocoa and boiling water well to form a paste.
3. Add in coconut milk, oil, and vanilla.
4. Mix in sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. Mix in flour.
6. Stir in vinegar. (Note: the vinegar didn’t add negatively to the taste, and it helps to activate the baking soda to make this cupcake fluffy. I’m not sure if it’s totally necessary, but I didn’t really experiment at all…)
7. Pour into prepared muffin tins.
8. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.