‘Pumpkin Tea Cake from Tartine
This pumpkin cake is moist and spicy. The original recipe says not to overmix the batter, as you will end up with a coarse tough crumb. Apparently, this is because overmixing will develop the gluten.
Makes about: 1 large loaf
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: about 1 hour
1 c vegetable oil
1 1/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp +2 tsp cinnamon (=5 tsp cinnamon)
2 tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cloves
¾ tsp salt
1 2/3 cup flour
1 c + 2tbsp pumpkin puree (I used 1 cup)
Topping: 2 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
Loaf pan, lined parchment lined
1. Preheat oven to 325F. (I baked at 350F, and it was fine).
2. Beat together vegetable oil, sugar, and pumpkin puree.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time.
4. Add in baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Mix until combined.
5. Stir in flour.
6. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
7. Bake for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.