Lemon Bars from Smitten Kitchen
Source: Smitten Kitchen
These bars were packed with lemony goodness. I used the thinner filling suggestion from Smitten Kitchen instead of the 6 egg full-thickness filling. Unlike some other recipes, this one uses flour to thicken the lemon filling, so it’s got a bit less stickiness.
Makes about: One 9×3 pan (about 24 bars)
Prep time: 20 minutes (b/c juicing and zesting takes forever)
Bake time: 15-20 minutes (crust)+30-35 mins (filling)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
½ cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 tsp salt
bake 15-20 minus
1 2/3 cups sugar
4 tsp zest
2/3 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup flour
9×13 pan, lined with parchment
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare a 9×13 baking pan by lining with parchment paper (easy cleanup!) or by greasing.
2. To make the crust: cream together butter and sugar. Mix in flour and salt until just combined (it might be crumbly).
3. Dump dough into pan and press into the bottom of the prepared pan with your hands. Build up a ½ inch edge on all sides. Chill if desired.
4. Bake crust for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
5. While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. Whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour until combined.
6. Pour lemon mixture over the crust.
7. Bake 30-35 minutes, or about 5minutes after the filling is set. (Note: telling whether the filling is set is a bit difficult. Maybe one easy way of telling is that the filling is no longer liquid and the filling no longer really jiggles when you move the pan. When in doubt, though, you can always bake longer. If you insert a knife into the custard, though, it won’t come out clean.)
8. Let cool and dust with confectioner’s sugar if desired.