Simple Apple Tart
Source: Smitten Kitchen via Alice Waters
This lovely tart is super simple to make. Unlike other tarts, it’s not too sweet or heavy. There’s an apple glaze made out of the peels and cores, which I didn’t find to be quite necessary, since the tart alone was delicious enough.
Makes about: 1 9-inch tart
Prep time: 30-45 minutes (b/c chopping apples takes forever, plus you need to chill the dough)
Bake time: 30-45 minutes
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, slightly soft, cut into ½ inch pieces
3 ½ tsp chilled water
2 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (keep the cores and skins)
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3-5 tbsp sugar
½ cup sugar
peels and cores from the apples
Tart pan, rolling pin
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. To prepare dough: combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
3. Cut in the butter with two knives (this actually works!) or with your fingers, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and the largest pieces appear to be large peas.
4. Dribble in water until dough. Keep working the dough until it forms a ball, and flatten into a disk.
5. Chill dough for about 30 minutes, or until the dough is cold, but still malleable. (Chilling helps firm up the butter and makes it a bit easier to roll. Also, this is a great time to peel and chop the apples!)
6. Roll dough into a circle about 14 inches in diameter. (Roll between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper for easy cleanup, or use a lightly floured surface).
7. Place dough in a 9-inch tart pan and press the dough along the bottom and sides. The dough will overhang, but that’s okay ☺
8. To prepare filling: Overlap apples in the tart pan in a ring starting from the outside edge and move toward the center.
9. Fold any overhanging dough over the fruit and crimp at 1 inch intervals.
10. Brush the 2 tbsp melted butter over the apples and onto the dough.
11. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of the sugar over the dough and about 3 tbsp over the apples. You can use less if desired for a less sweet tart.
12. Bake for about 30-45 minutes, or until apples are soft with browned edges, and crust has caramelized.
13. To make glaze: Put peels and cores in a saucepan with sugar. Pour in just enough water to cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Strain syrup and brush over cooled tart.
14. Let tart cool before serving. Enjoy!