Subtly Spicy Brownies
Source: Smitten Kitchen
Makes about: 9×13 pan
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 30-40 mins
These delicious brownies are dense and very rich. The spicy flavors didn’t really come through, but perhaps that’s part of the subtlety? I’d never heard of Baked (the bakery from which this recipe originates), so sadly, there’s no interesting story about the source, except to say that I like browsing Smitten Kitchen when I’m procrastinating ☺
11 oz dark chocolate (60 to 72% cacao), chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp smoked paprika (or chipotle powder)
¾ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cardamom (I left this out)
1 tsp instant espresso powder
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
5 large eggs, room temperature
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
9×13 baking pan
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare baking pan by lining with parchment paper or by greasing very well.
2. Melt together the dark chocolate and butter over low heat.
3. To the chocolate mixture, add the salt, cocoa powder, paprika, cinnamon, cardamom (if using), espresso powder, and vanilla. Mix until well blended.
4. Mix in sugar.
5. Beat in eggs one at a time.
6. Add flour and mix until just combined.
7. Pour into prepared pan and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.