Everyday Chocolate Cake
Source: Smitten Kitchen
Makes about: 1 loaf
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 50-60 minutes
This cake is super moist, very chocolately, very delicious, and extremely easy to make.
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cocoa powder (Dutched preferred; I used natural)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda and ½ tsp baking powder (if using Dutch cocoa powder)
½ tsp baking soda (if using natural cocoa powder)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper or by buttering it.
2. Cream together butter and sugar. (Alternately, melt the butter and mix with the sugar).
3. Mix in egg, buttermilk, and vanilla.
4. Mix in flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda until just combined. (Add baking powder if needed).
5. Pour into prepared pan.
6. Bake 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Let cool before slicing.