Fresh Ginger Cake
Source: David Leibovitz
This ginger cake is very light, fluffy and moist. I thought it would have too strong of a ginger flavor, but it’s actually not too much at all (that is, unless you dislike ginger). I froze ginger beforehand to make it easier to grate.
Makes about: One 9×13 pan (original recipe suggests a 9.5’’ springform pan)
Prep time: 25 minutes (grating ginger takes a while)
Bake time: 35-40 minutes
4 oz fresh ginger, grated
1 cup molasses (mild is suggested; I used dark)
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 cup hot water
2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare pan by lining with parchment paper or by buttering it.
2. Grate the ginger (or chop until very fine).
3. Mix together hot water and baking soda.
4. Add in molasses, sugar, and oil.
5. Stir in ginger.
6. Mix in flour, cinnamon, cloves, and black pepper.
7. Add eggs. Mix until combined.
8. Pour into prepared pan and bake about 30-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool before serving! Bake time will be longer with a greater depth of batter (as with a smaller pan).