This cornbread recipe is easy to make and easily adaptable. The number of permutations is a little bewildering, but the basic recipe is quite simple and delicious. This cornbread is perfect with a bowl of chili.
Makes about: One 8×10 pan pan (original calls 8×8 pan)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 20-30 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil (or other fat)
1 ¼ cups buttermilk, milk, yogurt, or milk with 1 tbsp vinegar (I used 1 ¼ cup soymilk with 1 tbsp lime juice)
1 ½ cup medium grind cornmeal (I used ½ cup coarse grind cornmeal and 1 cup fine grind)
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
added 2 jalapeños, minced
also shredded some parmesan on top after it was done.
8×8 pan or 8×10 pan
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Use the olive oil to grease the pan.
3. Mix together buttermilk and egg.
4. Mix in cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
5. Mix in jalapenos.
6. Bake 20-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Top with grated cheese if desired. Enjoy!