Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan with Orange Zest
Source: Smitten Kitchen http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/11/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-and-pecan-cookies/
These delicious and lightly spiced cookies have a distinct orange flavor—I didn’t find it too strong, but opinions seemed to vary. I especially like the mixture of texture, particularly when the cookie is fresh out of the oven (crunch oats and pecans with melted chocolate…yum!). You can freeze the pre-scooped dough and bake these later (just add a few minutes to the baking time).
Makes about: 64 cookies (tablespoon scoop)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 10-12 minutes
8 tbsp butter, room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 cup oats (I used rolled oats, the original recipe called for quick-cooking)
2 cups pecans, chopped
2 tsp freshly grated orange zest (about 1 medium orange)
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cream together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
3. Mix in eggs, salt, and vanilla extract.
4. Mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
5. Stir in oats and orange zest.
6. Stir in pecans and chocolate chips.
7. Scoop by tablespoons onto a prepared baking sheet (greased or lined with parchment paper). The cookies will spread, so do leave some room between cookies. At this point, you can freeze the cookies and bake them later.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until tops are slightly golden brown. A shorter baking time will yield a softer, chewier cookie. If you choose to freeze and bake later, just add about 2-3 minutes to the baking time.