Pear Cake with Walnuts
Source: Smitten Kitchen
This lovely and fragrant cake is quite soft and moist, and the walnuts add a nice extra crunch. I made half of the original recipe, used brown sugar instead of white sugar, and topped the cake with 2 tbsp of white sugar to add some extra crunch.
Makes about: 1 loaf
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Bake time: 50-60 minutes
¼ cup + 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg (technically, 1.5 eggs)
1 cup brown sugar (original called for white)
1 cup grated pears (about 3 small pears)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional, but highly recommended)
2 tbsp granulated sugar for topping
Loaf pan, greased or lined with parchment paper; grater
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare pan.
2. Mix together oil, egg, brown sugar, grated pears, and vanilla extract.
3. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
4. Stir in walnuts.
5. Pour into prepared pan.
6. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp of granulated sugar.
7. Bake 50-60 minutes or, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.