Source: Joy of Baking
Makes about: 11 (tablespoons)
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Bake time: 15-20 minutes
These macaroons are moist, soft, and sweet, with a nice bit of chocolate coating. They tasted just like the one we got from Pasta Gina some time ago. Of note: After baking, there seem to be a yellow syrup leaking out of the bottom that creates a bit of a “foot.” This can easily be covered with chocolate. Also, I found it easier to apply the chocolate with a spoon than dipping, because the cookies are a bit delicate. This is half of the original recipe.
¼ cup sugar
1/16 tsp salt (used a dash of salt)
½ tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups sweetened, dried coconut (I pulsed it in the blender to break the coconut into smaller pieces)
2 oz chocolate (I used half the amount listed, and it was sufficient)
¼ tsp butter
Parchment lined baking pan.
1. Preheat oven 350F.
2. Mix together egg, sugar, salt, and vanilla.
3. Mix in coconut.
4. Scoop by tablespoons onto prepared baking pan.
5. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until tops are slightly golden brown.
6. Let cool.
7. Melt together chocolate and butter in the microwave.
8. Dip macaroons in chocolate (It may be easier to use a spoon to spread the chocolate on the bottom). Let cool on a piece of parchment paper in the fridge.