Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies from David Leibovitz
Source: David Leibovitz
The salt adds a nice touch to these chocolate-chip cookies and really enhances the brown sugar-buttery flavor of the cookies. Of course, salt enhances flavor of most food, so that’s not too surprising 🙂 I scoop the dough into balls and freeze them. Once I bake them from the freezer, they require a little more time in the oven (about 15 minutes).
Makes About: 30 cookies, 1.5 tbsp scoop
Bake Time: 10-15 minutes/batch (depending on how brown you like them)
½ cup salted butter, at room temperature (I used ½ cup unsalted butter+ ¼ tsp salt)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/3 cups coarsely chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (I used chocolate chips)
1 cup toasted nuts, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
2. Cream together butter and sugar.
3. Mix in egg and vanilla.
4. Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts.
6. If the dough is too soft, chill for about 30 minutes. Otherwise, proceed.
7. Scoop dough by tablespoons or with a scoop of choice (I’ve just started using this: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Medium-Cookie-Scoop/dp/B0000CDVD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376682941&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+scoop+medium)
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown.
9. Enjoy! Be careful of molten chocolate!