Baci di dama (or, hazelnut cookies)
Source: David Leibovitz
I made these in the food processor, and they were surprisingly easy to make. I also cheated by using the pre-toasted hazelnuts from Trader Joe’s. The dough was rather crumbly, but came together after being wrapped in plastic.
1 1/4 cups hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
1 cup rice flour (or all-purpose flour)
3 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. Pulse hazelnuts in the food processor until fine.
2. Add flour, butter, sugar, salt. Knead tillc ombined
3. Divide into 3 pieces, roll to ¾ inch diameter.
4. Chill logs till firm, then cut into equal pieces.
5. Bake at 325F, 10-14.
6. I didn’t make sandwich cookies, but did dip them in dark chocolate.