Zucchini-Apricot Cake from Tartine
The addition of apricot jam seemed a bit unusual, but this cake turned out to be very moist and delicious. The original recipe calls for marmalade, but indicates that apricot jam is also acceptable. It also notes that you should bake right away after preparing the batter, lest the zucchini macerate in the sugar (which would give you a watery batter). The zucchini and jam contribute to the moistness of the cake, but can also make it very soggy when you add a little too much zucchini. (Resist the urge to pack down the zucchini and add more of it…)
Makes about: 1 loaf or about 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 60-70 minutes for the loaf, 15-20 minutes for the muffins
½ cup + 2tbsp vegetable oil
¾ cup sugar
½ cup apricot jam or orange marmalade
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ¾ cups+2tbsp all purpose flour
2 ½ cup grated zucchini
1 cup walnuts, toasted (optional)
2 tbsp sugar for topping (optional)
Loaf pan or muffin pan
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper or by greasing it. If making muffins, prepare muffin pan with paper liners, or by greasing the muffin cups.
2. Mix together the eggs, vegetable oil, sugar, and jam.
3. Add in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
4. Stir in the flour.
5. Add the grated zucchini and mix until just combined.
6. Stir in walnuts if desired.
7. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle sugar over the top.
8. Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. If making muffins, bake for 15-20 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.